Spring 2021 SCCC Exam:
We are excited about the upcoming SCCC Certification Exam. The written portion of the exam is offered through computer based testing at testing centers across the country. The application for the Spring 2021 SCCC Exam is available on the CSCCa website. The CSCCa must receive an exam application and a $360 (member), $470 (nonmember) certification fee no later than Friday, February 19, 2021, for all individuals who wish to sit for the 2021 SCCC Certification Exam for the first time. Separate pricing for retest candidates who are only taking one portion of the exam is available. There will be no exceptions to this deadline!
The application for the Spring 2021 SCCC Exam is available on the CSCCa website here.
The following is a list of deadlines for the Spring Exam:
- Application: Friday, February 19, 2021
- Code of Conduct: Friday, February 19, 2021
- Practicum Waiver: Friday, February 19, 2021
- Membership Dues (optional): Friday, February 19, 2021
- Payment of Certification Fee: Friday, February 19, 2021
- Verification of Bachelor’s Degree via Official Transcripts: Friday, February 19, 2021
- Internship Completion Verification Form: Wednesday, March 17, 2021
- Payment of Practicum Fee: Wednesday, March 17, 2021
- CPR/First Aid/AED: Wednesday, March 17, 2021
- Program Design: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
The CSCCa strongly encourages candidates to submit all requirements as early as possible. Early submission of requirements will increase the likelihood that candidates will be able to schedule their written exam at the time and location of their choice. Practical exam testing groups are also assigned as requirements are received, so early submission of requirements will decrease candidate waiting time at the practical exam.
Please note that the deadlines listed above indicate the day by which the CSCCa must receive requirements, not the date by which requirements can be mailed or requested. Please be sure to order official transcripts, take CPR/AED/First Aid courses, and mail checks early with time to spare to meet the deadline! Please use particular caution in registering for CPR/AED/First Aid courses. It can take several weeks or even longer to receive certification cards and certificates from certifying organizations. Please ensure that you register for a course at least 6-8 weeks before you wish to receive your certification card or certificate.
The practical portion of the SCCC certification examination will be offered prior to the start of the conference on Wednesday, May 5, 2021. As a reminder, all SCCC candidates are required to take BOTH portions of the exam. Candidates with a minimum of 12 years in the field, however, are not responsible for fulfilling the practicum/internship requirement. If you wish to sit for the Spring 2021 SCCC Certification Exam and have been a full-time strength and conditioning coach on the collegiate and/or professional-level for 12 or more years, please contact the CSCCa National Office with any questions or concerns.
In preparation for the SCCC certification examination, please visit the CSCCa website for recommended areas of study, study resources, and additional study tips. An SCCC Candidate Handbook is also available on the website. These can all be found under the “Certification” tab. Please contact Laekyn, SCCC Coordinator, at 801.375.9400 with any questions or concerns regarding SCCC Certification.
Important SCCC Certification Requirement Changes and Updates
We want to remind you about the following changes that were approved in 2019 regarding the background education requirement for SCCC candidates. These changes become effective August 1, 2024.
Background Education Requirement: Effective August 1, 2024
Effective August 1, 2024, all first time SCCC Candidates will be required to have completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited institution and have received academic credit on their official transcripts for the following courses (5 TOTAL):
- Anatomy & Physiology (2 classes)**
- Exercise Physiology (1 class)
- Biomechanics or Kinesiology (1 class)
- Nutrition (Sports Nutrition Preferred) (1 class)
Note: Classes titled as “Introductory” are not accepted; standalone labs do not count as one of the required classes, and acceptable courses must be worth 3+ credit hours
** Example: Anatomy and Physiology I and II (Both Classes), or Human Anatomy (One Class) and Human Physiology (Another Class)
First Aid Requirement:
While hands-on courses are ideal and strongly recommended, effective August 1, 2019, First Aid Courses are no longer required to include a hands-on portion. Please be aware that this change does not affect the CPR/AED requirement. CPR/AED MUST include a hands-on portion, and courses completed solely online will not be accepted.
Notes for Mentors:
- All CSCCa-approved mentors must utilize the updated Proper Exercise Techniques page on the CSCCa website during CSCCa-approved practicum/internships to ensure that SCCC candidates are properly prepared for the practical exam. Any questions or concerns should be addressed to the CSCCa National Office.
- If you have changed schools or institutions since becoming an approved mentor, please email the National Office with this information to verify that you are still eligible to be a CSCCa Approved Mentor. More information regarding which job titles/positions are eligible to serve as CSCCa Approved Mentors is provided on the CSCCa website. It is extremely important that we keep the list of CSCCa Approved Mentors up-to-date to provide accurate information for those individuals searching for an approved internship.
- If you would like a copy of the most recent version of the CSCCa Mentoring Booklet (Last Updated Fall 2018), please email CSCCa staff a current mailing address.
- If you will have interns this fall who are going to sit for the SCCC Spring 2021 Exam and need forms (i.e., Practicum Waiver, Internship Completion Verification Form), please email the National Office at firstname.lastname@example.org , and we will provide you with a PDF copy . Please be aware these are also available in your CSCCa Mentoring Booklet. You are encouraged to make copies of these forms as the mentoring booklets are to be used for multiple candidates.
Any questions regarding any of these updates should be directed to 801.375.9400 or email@example.com.