Best wishes as we enter the beginning of the 2019 holiday season! As we approach Thanksgiving, I reflect upon the many blessings in my life, and my association with each of you is at the top of my list. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to work with you in advancing the strength and conditioning profession and to ensure the safety and effectiveness of strength and conditioning programs!
We have made great strides since the CSCCa’s inception in 2000, but there is much more to be done. One of these accomplishments is the completion of the CSCCa textbook, The Professional’s Guide to Strength & Conditioning, which is now available for purchase in a variety of options:
- An e-book on RedShelf.com for only $99 plus any applicable state and local sales tax. Ordering instructions are provided on the RedShelf website.
- A full-color paperback edition is also available through RedShelf for $129.95 plus $10 shipping and handling, as well as any applicable state and local sales tax.
- A combination of the e-book and the full-color paperback edition is available through RedShelf for $149.95 plus $10 shipping and handling, as well as any applicable state and local sales tax.
- A hardbound full-color version for $149.95 plus $10 shipping and handling, as well as any applicable state and local sales tax, is available for purchase through the publisher. To order the hardbound copy, please contact the publisher directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A combination of the e-book and the hardbound full-color version is also available through the publisher for $169.95, plus $10 shipping and handling, as well as any applicable state and local sales tax. To order this combination, please contact the publisher directly at email@example.com.
This textbook is not only a great study tool for SCCC candidates, but also a valuable resource and reference for all strength and conditioning coaches. Three chapters were written by practicing Master Strength & Conditioning Coaches (MSCCs): Chris Doyle, Glenn Harris, and Sandy Abney. In addition, Coach John Stein, Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach at Indiana State University, and the University’s strength and conditioning staff developed the Stretching and Dynamic Warmup Appendix.
In addition to writing a chapter on Program Design for the textbook, Coach Doyle, Director of Strength & Conditioning at the University of Iowa and CSCCa Board member, developed the Strength Training Techniques and Spotting Appendix, which includes strength training videos and instructions for proper exercise technique. The Proper Exercise Techniques page on the CSCCa website contains links to these videos and descriptions.
Please be aware that beginning with the 2020 SCCC practical certification exam administration, these videos and their written descriptions will be the standard by which SCCC candidates will be evaluated. All CSCCa-approved mentors must utilize this educational resource during CSCCa-approved practicum/internships to ensure that SCCC candidates are properly prepared for the practical exam. Any questions or concerns should be addressed to the CSCCa National Office.
As a reminder, we will be celebrating the CSCCa’s 20th anniversary at the upcoming 2020 National Conference—20 years of promoting education, unity, and respect for the strength and conditioning coaching profession. The conference is still several months away but will be here before we know it! Please plan to join us and take part in this major milestone for the CSCCa and the profession.
You are encouraged to stay through the end of the conference on Friday, May 8, which is 1:30 p.m. so you can take full advantage of all the conference has to offer! We have reduced the quantity of speakers this year, but all of our exciting speakers are highly qualified and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. You won’t want to miss these outstanding presentations. The conference itinerary will be included in the December issue of CSCCa Monthly. Be sure to check it out.
The national conference will also include a vast exhibit hall featuring the latest in strength training, conditioning, speed & power development, sports nutrition, recovery, strength & conditioning technology, and more. This is an extremely important part of the valuable experience built into the national conference each year as it provides updates regarding the latest products and developments in the industry, keeping you and your program on the cutting edge.
I would like to announce and extend a warm welcome to Momentous, a new CSCCa Bronze-Level Sponsor—“A nutrition company dedicated to creating no-compromise products and tools that support the endless pursuit of progress in human health and performance.” Please be sure to check out their article in this month’s edition of CSCCa Monthly for additional information. I also encourage you to visit their website and visit them at Booth #800 in the 2020 CSCCa National Conference exhibit hall to thank them and check out their quality nutritional products.
Please contact the CSCCa National Office with any questions regarding the CSCCa textbook, the Proper Exercise Techniques page on the CSCCa website, the 2020 CSCCa National Conference, or any other issues or concerns you may have. Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday.