Zach Farrel, senior performance coach at the University of Louisville, won The Gatorade CSCCa Young Achievement Award at the 2018 CSCCa National Conference in Fort Worth, Texas. Nominees for the award needed to fit several criteria, including:
- Be up-and-coming in the field, but proven in dedication to improving athletic performance with safe and effective science-based programs.
- Have no more than 10 years of experience in the field.
- Have a well-rounded, holistic approach to conditioning, with knowledge and application of science, nutrition and communications.
- Be SCCC certified through the CSCCa.
Farrel has been a member of the Louisville sports performance team since 2009 when he became a student intern with the program. Later that year, he moved in to a graduate assistant role while completing his master’s degree in exercise science (strength and conditioning concentration). Upon graduation, a full-time position was created to keep Zach on staff. He now serves as the performance specialist for baseball, volleyball and men’s tennis.
“As a GA, Zach demonstrated such a rare passion for learning and growth, and such a rare commitment to the Cardinal brand that when graduation approached, it was clear we needed to keep him in a Cardinals’ uniform,” Teena Murray, director of sports performance at Louisville, says.
Farrel serves as the strength and power specialist on the Louisville staff, and is a nationally ranked competitive weightlifter. He earned his SCCC certification in 2011.
“Zach embodies the best of what coaching is about – a genuine passion for impacting student-athletes,” says Murray. “A servant leader, great teammate, and committed professional – Zach is a future star in our industry.”
Farrel received the following prizes for winning the award:
- Plaque presentation at the Master Strength and Conditioning Coaches Dinner and Ceremony.
- Two-night hotel stay at the CSCCa Annual National Conference host hotel.
- Travel to/from CSCCa Annual National Conference city.
- $2,000 grant for continuing education opportunities.
- Gatorade gift pack including a branded jacket, towels, products and more.
Gatorade is a Founding Partner and Platinum Level Sponsor of the CSCCa. Starting in 2017, Gatorade partnered with the CSCCa to create the The Gatorade CSCCa Young Achievement Award. This award is for an SCCC Certified Coach who is up-and-coming in the field but has proven his/her dedication to improving athletic performance with safe and effective science-based programs.